Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Project: Glow Jars

Oh, have I got a good one for you today...

There has been a pin floating around for some time now, showing us how to very simply make a super cool glow jar:


Yeah, that one!!! I thought this would the perfect thing to entertain and amuse my toddler, so I set to work right away to make him his very own. Of course, this is a Pinterest thing, but the pin comes from VIPpins, which I don't think is the original author of this project, but it's the closest I can get to giving proper credit. 

The basics of the project are as follows:

1. Get mason jars.
2. Get glow-in-the-dark paint.
3. Paint dots inside the mason jar.
4. Fill with water (?).
5. Be amazed.

Whoa! Super easy! Surely, I can paint dots with the best of 'em. I went to le craft store and picked up my supplies:


That's my hubby in the background, trying to provide a white backdrop (his idea) for my photo. lolz. What I have there is just a pack of 6 glow paints, which cost me about $9.00, so not too bad. We already had mini mason jars in the house, which is how you know you're a craft nerd.

I decided such a vast array of glow-paint colors dictated that I must painstakingly, over a period of 3 days, add 3 colors to each jar, one by one. I chose to do one jar in pink, orange, and yellow, while the other jar was blue, green, and white, more like the one from Pinterest.

Here you can see me adding dots, and how it looked:

Green jar

Red jar
In case you were curious, here is how my jars look from the side:




It should be noted that the directions stated the more dots, the cooler it looks so I did my best to add TONS of dots.

Alright, pretty exciting. Now here's where the directions get a bit iffy...the recipe stated that somewhere along the way, I would need water. HOWEVER, it did not specify WHY I needed said water. I put on my science-hat, and figured that water in the jar would multiply the glowing effect by creating reflections. I'll accept my science trophy later, for being so smart and all.

My husband was exceedingly skeptical that this project would work at all. Namely, questioning the integrity of the glow-paint itself to actually glow. He decided to cook my jars under this extreme halogen lamp for maximum glow:




Alright! You guys ready to see my super mega cool glow jars???


Yep.

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! OMGosh, what a complete and total CRAFT IMPLOSION!!! Now I should note that the jars do glow, just not even close to the awesomeness level the pin promised me. 

Has anyone tried and pwn'd this project?? If so, we want to hear from you!!!